Kurt Cobain was the singer, guitarist and lead composer of the famous band Nirvana. A selection of the most iconic reflections of the idol that, unfortunately, left us too soon.
With his carefree, natural and very real style, he managed to have a great impact on different social issues, as well as the great consequences of not paying attention to our mental and physical health.
Great inspiring quotes and reflections by Kurt Cobain
For better or for worse, this singer is an example of the different phases of life. Unfortunately, his death due to suicide will be recorded as one of the stories of the mythical 'Club of the 27'.
Therefore, we bring a compilation of Kurt Cobain's best famous phrases that will help us remember his legacy.
1. My memory exists, my memory will live forever and my music in glory will be the salvation of the damn hell where we live.
A prediction that was fulfilled thanks to his music.
2. You can't buy happiness.
Happiness is invaluable.
3. Music comes first, the lyrics are secondary.
The singer's way of composing.
4. Sometimes no matter how loud you play the music, you can only hear yourself.
Your problems will never go away, unless you face them.
5. The stars are there, you just have to look at them.
It never hurts to have an open mind.
6. Do you know what I hate about rock? The faded T-shirts. He wouldn't wear one of those unless it was stained with Phil Collins' urine and Jerry Garcia's blood.
A peculiar displeasure of the singer.
7. Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are.
A very valuable phrase to reflect on cultivating our self-esteem.
8. All my lyrics have been pieces of poetry.
Talking about the nature of his songs.
9. The duty of young people is to challenge corruption.
For Kurt, young people must have a spirit of justice.
10. I'd better be hated for what I am, than loved for what I am not.
A reflection about always being ourselves.
11. Peace, Love and Empathy...
Precepts that he always supported.
12. I admire people who live without problems, who look at the world carefree. Unlike them, I suffer more than I do.
The problems of his childhood stayed with him, until the end of his days.
13. There is nothing in the world that I like more than pure underground music.
Thanks to Nirvana, this music had a place in the world.
14. If they laugh at you because you are different, laugh at them because they are all the same.
Being different makes us original and stand out from the rest.
15. Before they die, many will die with me and they deserve it. See you in hell.
A harsh statement in his songs.
16. I like to see prejudices in front of people with prejudice.
Many moralistic people commit the same sins that they condemn.
17. I have a request for our fans. If any of you hate homosexuals, or people of different colors, or women, please do us a favor: leave us alone! Don't come to our concerts and don't buy our records.
Kurt had zero tolerance for any kind of discrimination.
18. If you die, you are completely happy and your soul is still alive somewhere.
His opinion on death.
19. Punk is musical freedom.
Cobain took punk to new heights.
20. Music is energy. A state of mind, an atmosphere. Feeling.
The way I saw the music.
21. The birds scream every morning from the top of their lungs in horrified hellish rage to warn us of the whole truth, but unfortunately we can't talk to the birds.
Talking about becoming aware of the damage to the environment.
22. No one dies a virgin... Life screws us all up.
A reference to how hard and complicated life can be.
23. Life is not as sacred as the appreciation of passion.
For Kurt, his passion for music was everything.
24. If my eyes could show my soul, everyone would cry when they saw me smile.
A metaphor for his perpetual melancholic state.
25. Under the influence of drugs you don't care about anything, you just want to isolate yourself from the world and achieve an inner peace that is not achieved in a normal state.
Despite knowing the harmful effects of drugs, he could never get rid of them.
26. Drugs destroy your memory and your own respect. They are not good, but I'm not going to preach against them now.
The reality that Cobain lived with respect to his addictions.
27. The life of the world is the peace of our soul, without one close to the other it is the same death of our own being that collects what we have not lived until we realize how late it is now.
Cobain had a certain attraction for death.
28. We do not have the right to express an opinion until we know all the answers.
You should never talk about too much.
29. I'm not afraid to die. Total peace after death. Being someone else is the best hope I have.
Apparently it was just that peace that he was looking for with his death.
30. I would rather tell a story about anyone else than talk about me.
He was always very conservative about his personal life.
31. I don't care what you think, unless it's about me.
Cobain taught us that the opinion of others is very subjective.
32. The real friend is the one who knows everything about you and is still your friend.
If you have a friend like that, appreciate it.
33. I prefer to be the worst of the best, than the best of the worst.
The singer never felt comfortable in fame.
34. Thank you for the tragedy. I need it for my art.
From the darkest things I could get a great inspiration.
35. I'm so happy because today I found my friends - they are in my head.
Perhaps a reference to your state of mind?
36. Sometimes I feel that people would like me to die so that the classic history of rock would come true.
Sadly, he followed this twisted desire.
37. It is better to burn than to slowly turn off.
About keeping that passionate spirit awake.
38. I am a happier person than many people think I am.
In spite of everything, Cobain managed to find small moments of complete happiness.
39. I miss the comfort of being sad.
He always returned to his most perpetual state of mind.
40. Carrying my baby is the best drug in the world.
Without a doubt, he loved his daughter, the short time he was with her.
41. If the media spread more good music, people would have better taste...
A piece of advice that can be applied today.
42. There are many things I wish I had done, instead of sitting down and complaining about how boring life is.
It's never too late to fix our disaster.
43. Practice makes the teacher, but no one is perfect, so why practice?
It is important to improve our skills, but not to be obsessed with perfection.
44. Pieces of poetry are taken from poems that commonly have no meaning at the first moment.
Speaking of the background of his lyrics.
45. I would like to get rid of homophobes, sexists and racists in our audience. I know they're out there and that's what really bothers me.
A wish that many also have today.
46. A friend is nothing more than a known enemy.
Do you agree with this phrase?
47. I don't know where I'm going, I just know I can't be here.
There are places that don't do us good.
48. Being number one on the charts is the same as being the sixteenth, only that there are more people who kiss your ass.
A sign of his disdamage to fame.
49. I'm afraid of dying now because I don't want to leave my wife or daughter.
Although he was completely dedicated to them, his depression was more than his desire to live.
50. If you ever need anything, please do not hesitate to ask someone else first.
Never be ashamed to ask for help. We will all need it sometime.
51. My soul can be seen through my eyes.
They say that the eyes are the windows to the soul.
52. When I was a boy I dreamed of being what I do now, and now that I fulfilled my dream I realize that it is not as easy or as fantastic as I thought.
There are goals that become something totally different from what we expect.
53. I didn't know how to deal with success.
Something that he made very clear.
54. Rap is the only vital form of music introduced from punk rock.
Showing his admiration for rap.
55. I'm not very read, but what I've read, I've read it well.
It doesn't matter that you don't know everything, but that you are an expert in what you know how to do.
56. I'm not gay, but I would like to be gay just to anger homophobes.
Another phrase that shows his contempt for discrimination.
57. I am a lifeless man, but who loves music.
Perhaps there is no better way to describe Cobain.
58. What else can I write? I don't have the right. What else should I be? Pure apologies.
His songs showed his mood.
59. I think that youth only lasts until the age of 27; from that moment on, along with youth, life goes away as well.
A chilling prediction about its end.
60. Aberdeen was a totally isolated city, a place that made your hair stand on end, you just had to get out of there to open your eyes, people were so square, how could we not be different from them?
Talking about his hometown.
61. If rock is illegal, put my ass in jail.
Rock was what helped keep him alive.
62. Sometimes I'm terrified because I'm as confused as most people. I don't have the answers at all.
It's normal to feel confused, but don't let ourselves be carried away by bewilderment.
63. They see you the way you are. As you were. How they want you to be.
About the expectations of others.
64. We are so fashionable that we can't even escape from ourselves.
When fame gets out of hand.
65. All drugs are a waste of time. They Destroy your memory, self-respect and everything related to self-esteem.
Although he knew the evil they were causing him, Kurt could not get rid of drugs.
66. The sun is gone, but I have a light.
We all have an inner light that needs to be fed.
67. My heart is broken, but I have some glue, help me inhale it and chop it.
A peculiar reference to relieving their discomfort with substances.
68. If there had been a Rockstar 101 course, I would have loved to take it. Maybe it would have helped me.
Maybe many artists need these courses.
69. There is goodness in all of us... I think I love people too much. So much so, that it makes me feel fucking sad.
He was a faithful believer in the ability of people to do good.
70. I'm not like them, but I can pretend...
Whenever you can, be yourself.
71. If you are really a bad person, you are going to come back like a fly and eat poop.
Your opinion on bad people.
72 My life is a concentrated discomfort, spread among all of us due to family crisis, violence, lack of work and a total absence of God.
For Cobain, life was endless chaos.
73. Rape is one of the worst crimes in the world. And it happens every few minutes.
That is why these repulsive acts must always be condemned.
74. I put together Nirvana because I couldn't do anything other than have a Rock band, I didn't even like sports, so a band was the last resort to be able to have a chance on a social level.
Talking about his band.
75. If I go to jail, at least I won't have to sign autographs.
A way to relieve the pressure for fame.
76. My songs have always contained frustrating topics, relationships that I have had in my life.
All his songs were related to his life.
77. I use pieces of other personalities to form mine.
Sometimes we find answers in the acts of others.
78. I had a very good childhood until I was 9 years old, then a classic divorce case affected me a lot.
Poorly managed divorces can ruin people's childhood.
79. I was tired of pretending that I was someone just to get along with people, just because I had friends.
A life of lies.
80. I like to complain and do nothing to make things better.
An area where many of us fall.
81. I'm my own spokesperson. It happens that there are people worried about what I have to say.
Kurt Cobain was never afraid to express his opinions.
82. I'd rather be dead than be cool.
His extreme choices.
83. I like to be passionate and sincere, but I also like to have fun and act like a fool.
Two states that we should all enjoy.
84. It is impossible to be subversive in the commercial world. They will crucify you. You can't get away with it. We tried and almost ended up in ruin because of it.
Advertising can help but it also becomes a perdition.
85. I need to feel a little drugged again to feel the enthusiasm I felt as a child.
The real reason why Cobain couldn't let go of drugs.
❤️ Enjoy this Newsletter?
Don't forget to subscribe here
Forward to a friend and let them know where they can subscribe (here).
Follow Me on Twitter @f_djiometio.